The Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals is well known for being stocked with leftist whackos, exactly the sort of judges that rightwing whackos scream about.
Well, there’s something new to scream about: the 9th Circuit has determined that the police may track you at all times without a warrant.
Government agents can sneak onto your property in the middle of the night, put a GPS device on the bottom of your car and keep track of everywhere you go. This doesn’t violate your Fourth Amendment rights, because you do not have any reasonable expectation of privacy in your own driveway — and no reasonable expectation that the government isn’t tracking your movements.
Now the questions is… if you discover a GPS tracking device on your car, what are you legally allowed to do with it?
Obvious suggestions include:
1) Remove and destroy
2) Leave it alone, and drive only where you want the authorities to know you’re going
3) Remove and place in garbage
4) Remove and place on random civilian vehicle
5) Remove and place on long-haul freight truck
6) Remove and mail to Hong Kong
7) Remove and mail to cops
8 ) Remove and send to FBI via strip-o-gram
9) Remove and sell on ebay
10) Remove, disassemble and use as part of an autonomous aircraft guidance system. post videos to Youtube, be sure to thank authorities for the free donation of the electronics that made it all possible
11) Remove and place on police car (slightly risky)
12) Remove and attach to helium-filled weather balloon
13) Remove and attach to sewer rat
14) Remove and “clone” so that there are, say, fifty of you running around
Have fun! :)